Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Garden at School... beginning to go green!

Our school is going through some changes currently, and some of them are really great! In an attempt to go green, we have been growing a garden which has recently begun producing amazing vegetables, herbs, and fruit. Our school has also invested in significant recycling efforts, and if I could just get everyone on board with sustainable seafood - we would be making huge progress! Each day it's such a remarkable thing to come into class and be able to harvest your own squash, tomatoes, zucchini, melons, herbs, eggplant... from a perspective of one who has never had a garden before, it is truly eye-opening. So I decided to take some pictures of our beautiful produce and post them here.





Beets fresh from our garden with beet caramel, herbs and goat cheese.

Fried Green Tomatoes with fresh tomato and basil sauce.




Roasted squash and zucchini with fresh herbs.
Another change that our school is experiencing is the alteration of the name from The Culinary Academy of Austin to the Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts. The chefs believe that by aligning themselves with this famous chef's name, it will raise the prestige level of our school. So far, nothing has changed besides the name, there is still very little accountability and very few people who take it seriously. I guess we'll see if other things change along with our uniforms.

Since I've been in school I've also been trying to cook more cohesively at home, using some of what I learn in class. Here are some of my dishes from home.

Spinach Soup with creme fraiche and mint.

Roasted herb cauliflower with chickpeas and tomato relish.




No I did not cook this pig but we had it in class and I thought it looked cool so I'm posting it.


Macrobiotic dinner: cauliflower "mashed potatoes" with onion gravy. Bulgar wheat Tabbouleh.

Bulgar Wheat Tabbouleh

Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes" with onion gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment