Monday, July 18, 2011

Home made meals...

Even before I started culinary school, I've always been an avid home chef. Since moving to Texas I've really enjoyed having mini dinner parties, where I can practice my culinary skills. I've been trying to work on my presentation and table settings as well, since that has always been an area that I've lacked in. When cooking at home I always modify my recipes to make them a bit more healthy, reduce or nix the dairy and add more whole grains as opposed to processed and refined. I think that by tweeking different recipes I have still managed to prepare interesting and delicious dishes. Here are some of my attempts at home made dinners:
Chinese Stir Fry: chowmein with sauteed tilapia and vegetables. Served with mojitos!

Chow Mein and Tilapia


Sauteed Spicy Spinach

Vegetarian Trio: sauteed brussel sprouts, spicy garbonzo beans with green beans, and Chinese Edamame

Garbanzo with snow peas and zucchini.


Kathy's beautiful table setting for my mom's birthday.


This is what I aspire to be like.


Mini pizzas with sundried tomatoes and mozzarella.

Smoked Salmon pinwheels, tabouli and mini pizzas


Lou's birthday breakfast: herbed scramble with homefries, mimosa and fruit.


Chive biscuits.


Cinnamon Rolls

Home made cinnamon rolls


Traditional Cinnamon Rolls

3 different frostings: maple, lemon and traditional cream cheese

Dinner with the husband: chicken stirfry for him and tofu stirfry for me - with vegetables and rice.


Steamed Broccoli with carrot ginger sauce.

Cauliflower herb puree, and Israeli couscous risotto - with tofu and dipping sauce.


Mint pea soup with sour cream topping

Roasted cauliflower with chickpeas and tomatoes.

My macrobiotic dinner: cauliflower "mashed potatoes" with onion gravy and tabouli.



Friday night dinner party

Table scape

Appetizer: whole wheat toast pointes with herbed goat cheese


Martinis!


2 pea and mint chilled soup with chives and sour cream. Delicious.


Herb gourgeres - fantastic hot.


Sustainable halibut with summer vegetables and saffron jus, whole wheat Israeli Couscous with mushrooms.

Strawberry Basil Granita for dessert.

Sushi Dinner!

Cucumber, cream cheese, avocado and ahi with spicy aioli.

Yellowjack and ahi - all sustainable.

Nigiri, spring rolls and rolled sushi.

Our sushi dinner

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks soooo delicious!! The halibut dinner looks amazing and the sushi look perfect - like they were just handed to me at a sushi bar. Thanks for the posts, great job Meg!

    - Jason Shaw

    ReplyDelete